Monday, October 29, 2007


I burst into tears when Geofrey recently told me what happened at the end of a long work day. (For those of you who don’t know, Geofrey is a Ugandan Agriculture Extension Officer working on the project to establish a locally produced, nutrient-dense paste to provide to malnourished children in Bundibugyo.) Geofrey was traveling home after a productive day of monitoring farmers’ fields, conducting agriculture trainings, and monitoring teams of women producing the nutrient-dense paste. Over the past month, a teammate (Michael Masso, water engineer) graciously allowed Geofrey to move around the District using his recently repaired but very weathered motorcycle. Unfortunately, on the day in question, suddenly the motorcycle died! Geofrey reported that he and another Extension Officer (Lamech) had to push it nearly 1 mile back to World Harvest Mission property. I cried about this because I was feeling very discouraged about several seemingly broken machines in my life.


So please pray that God would provide us with a new motorcycle for Geofrey. The machine I have my eye on would cost 4500 – 5000 USD. We have been spending a lot of money on hiring boda bodas (for-hire motorcycles) for Geofrey to travel throughout the District. These hired motorcycles are not high quality machines, and they offer very little flexibility in terms of when and where a person can move. I am very pleased with Geofrey’s work thus far, and I would be so happy if we were able to provide him with a new motorcycle to use for his work. The safety, flexibility, and cost-savings afforded by purchasing a new motorcycle would be well worth it! In the picture above, you can see Geofrey and Lamech posing by the motorcycles, just one week before the breakdown.

No comments: